River Facts......Did you know?
- Water covers nearly three-quarters (75%) of the earth's surface.
- Most of the earth's surface water is permanently frozen or
- Over 90% of the world's fresh water is found in Antarctica.
- Of the earth's total volume of water
link to Major Rivers of the World
- It doesn't take much salt to make water "salty."
If one-thousandth (or more) of the weight of water is from salt,
then the water is "saline."
- The United States consumes water at twice the rate of other
- 1.2 Billion people world-wide who do not have access to clean
- Each day almost 10,000 children under the age of 5 in Third
World countries die as a result of illnesses contracted by use
of impure water.
- Most of the world's people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch
- By 2025, 52 countries [with two-thirds of the world's population]
will be likely to have water shortages.
- The average single-family home uses 80 gallons of water each
day in the winter and 120 gallons in the summer. Showering, bathing
and using the toilet account for about two-thirds of the average
family's water usage.